Dreamweaver CS4 with CSS is now live!

Dreamweaver CS4 with CSS is now live!

My latest lynda.com title, Dreamweaver CS4 with CSS Essential Training, is now live in the lynda.com online training library! I’d like to thank Max Smith and everyone else at lynda.com for helping to produce the latest in my CSS Essential training series. In this title I’ve tried to not only teach the fundamentals of CSS, but how to use Dreamweaver’s incredible set of tools to efficiently build and deploy your CSS. Here are just a few of the topics I cover:

• Understanding the Cascade, Inheritance, and Specificity
  • Using Dreamweaver to resolve style conflicts
  • Creating custom CSS starter pages
  • Using Fireworks to build design prototypes
  • Building a CSS workflow around Live View, Related Files, and the Code Navigator
  • Online typography
  • Strategies for using background images
  • Styling tables and forms
  • Building navigation
  • Controlling page layout
  • Styling Spry Widgets through custom CSS
  • Using CSS to validate CSS and check for errors
  • …and, as they say, much, much more!!

For CS4 I’ve updated the design and layout of the site you’ll build and threw in a few surprises as well. Head over, give it a look and let me know what you think! As always questions are welcome…

13 Responses to “Dreamweaver CS4 with CSS is now live!”

1. iiniiniin says:

I appreciate your lessons very much for helping me build almost all features of the website I target. However, there is one thing not covered in the course, and I want to ask you now. I need a function that allows frequent data-updating, and these are 2 things embarrassing me:

1/ I found a way to update news daily, that is to insert a div tag at the top of the page and compose content in that area. However, it seems so manual. Are there intelligent and easy ways to handle this, like Data List type in Flash Catalyst?

2/ When I update news for my site, I’m not happy to see hundreds of items on a single page. My purpose is to have them categorized AUTOMATICALLY into smaller sections, namely page 1, 2, 3 … with about 10 items on each (this feature is similar to Google search). How can I do it?

Would you please give me some idea by KEYWORDS, so that I will search them on Google and study by myself?
    I will highly appreciate that.
    Thank you in advance.

2. oceansideimages says:

The last time I used this program was about ten years ago, so I guess you could say that I’m a new user :)
    I do know the basics of webdesign and used Front Page a lot. After watching some of the tutorials on lynda.com, I have found that web design has changed an awful lot, and I’m a little lost… LOL
    I think I wanted to design my employers web site in Illustrator/Photoshop workflo, and import it into DW. Where would I find tutorials to help me with this, and what should I look for?
    Thanks!
    Jamie
    OSI

3. jameswill says:

Well, for the most part if you’re looking for a straight PS or IL import to HTML/CSS you aren’t going to find it. After I’ve mocked up my sites in Illustrator or Photoshop, I’ll export out the graphics (by slicing or cropping them down) and then code the HTML and CSS based on the mockups. Yes, this approach requires you to learn HTML and CSS, but there really aren’t any alternatives out there that will give you the same results with the same amount of control and resulting in clean code. Them’s the breaks, I’m afraid… :)

4. jameswill says:

I think what you might be looking for is a CMS solution. Try looking into WordPress, Joomla, and Drupal. I think you’ll find what you’re looking for!

5. Saif says:

Hi Sir this is saif here… I worked hard to learn from ur amazing video tutorials about css and html and the videos r very helpful and the way u teach is great…
    I m a big fan of urs

6. Flash645 says:

I have loved your tutorials on Lynda.com, and became a member exclusively because of them. I, like the gentleman above, did a lot of design prior to CSS becoming the standard, and am now relearning everything.

I wire-framed my site, and I know exactly how I want it to appear. It will be a simple 2-column with header, and I am going to have a spastic nav (JQuery) navigation bar at the top, and a semi-transparent sub-navigation menu on the left. I have noticed (even with the explorecalifornia example site, which has some text flowing off the semi-transparent background on the first page) that IE 9 has a hard time dealing with transparency. I am guessing I will just let it go opaque, but if there is a workaround, I would love to know what it is.

As this is a photographic website, I have 2 main goals: Content and compatibility, especially with IOS devices. For that reason, I am getting rid of flash in favor of what will likely be javascript galleries, and I need it to be elastic, and to resize automatically to fit mobile devices, particularly the aforementioned IOS devices, as well as Android devices.

While I KNOW there are no shortcuts to learning properly, I would think there are some sessions that would address the concerns I have more directly. I DO plan on learning and mastering the new standards and DW itself, but I need to get the site up and running in the next 2 weeks, as I am switching hosts.

Any advice you could give would be welcome.

Thanks, and I love the site, the blog, and the tutorials. You are a great teacher!

7. kmcchrystal says:

kmcchrystal
    Your comment is awaiting moderation.
    July 18, 2011 at 11:31 am

Hi James,
    I’ve been watching your Lynda.com videos on Dreamweaver CS4, learning all about CSS. (Erstwhile, I’d been working in html, using much earlier version of Dreamweaver.) The following must be a really dumb question, because I can’t find any answer anywhere online. You show using a #div tag that is “required.” When is one supposed to use the div tag “required”?

8. jameswill says:

Hmm…. not sure I remember exactly which one you’re talking about. Although it might be “required” for a certain effect, there isn’t a case where using a div tag is required for pages.

Can you be a bit more specific in terms of exactly what I was referencing?

9. jameswill says:

Flash,

If you need to get a site up and running in two weeks, I recommend going with a CMS like WordPress and using a theme that does what you want at first. Then design your site the way you want to and eventually replace the WP site.

As for IE and transparency, you can certainly get it to work a bit better, although it has it’s limitations.

Check out PPK’s tests: http://www.quirksmode.org/css/opacity.html and for best results, use in conditional comments…

10. Mimi says:

Hello !

I am a member of “Lynda.com” and I often watch your courses. You actually look familiar, and I was wondering if you come from Ottawa. Worked at the National Research Council ? Just curious…

Mimi

P.S. A course on Expression Engine anytime soon?

11. jameswill says:

Hey Mimi,

No, I’m from South Carolina and unfortunately haven’t had the opportunity to visit Ottawa yet. As far as Expression Engine, there aren’t any plans that I know of right now, but I will forward your request!

12. Sergiy says:

Hello James.

First of all I want to apologize for any mistake I will make. I am from Ukraine and my English grammar is awful and honestly there is no one here at this moment who can correct me. I want to be an affiliate marketer which means I have to be at least an expert to be successful in SEO. That’s where I understand that mastering html and CSS will help me a lot. I did not know anything about web design or words like html or CSS. From your easy and fun courses on Lynda.com I have learned A LOT and it was EASY and FUN!
    Now when I got A LOT of theory it’s time for a practice and that’s where I got stacked and confused!
    It’s still difficult for me when I have no experience. I know it will take a lot of practice time but one of my friend insist on working with joomla to speed up my process and he said it much easier.
    I really need your advice to figure out what to do next: keep practicing and working with Dreamweaver or try Joomla or mix of both. I need an expert pointed me to the right direction :) ! Please help.
    Thank you very much.
    Sergiy

13. tanveer12 says:

hello james sir,

i am happy and appreciate your teaching method . i pary for your progress in future too..

Regards,